This article discusses features of Xanax medication. Xanax or Xanor are the brand names of alprazolam that belongs to drug class benzodiazepines is found to be very useful in subduing nervousness and anxiety. Xanax is used primarily to treat problems related to depression and anxiety but has a terrible risk of habit forming. That is the main reason why this drug has to be taken under the direction of a medical practitioner. Or perhaps a pharmacist also could throw light on how one has to take medicine.
What are the uses of Xanax?
It gets you to calm down
Let’s face it when you are dealing with anxiety on a constant basis; you have absolutely no control over your mind. You are merely an observer as your brain pulls you from one doomsday scenario to other. Alprazolam, however, will help you feel ‘calm’ again. It is achieved by enhancing the activity of a neurotransmitter known as GABA in the central nervous system. It’s also important to remember that the half-life of Xanax is 11.2 hours.
It will help you to sleep
Insomnia is one of the big side effects of anxiety disorders. It’s difficult to find peaceful sleep when your brain is abuzz with so many worries. Even in this instance alprazolam is very effective as it’s a strong sedative. However, it’s important to remember that a strong dose of alprazolam is not recommended before an important meeting or presentation unless you intend on snoozing through it.
Side-effects of Xanax
* The most common side-effects of Xanax are sleepiness, weight gain, increased salivation and constipation.
* Xanax can bring about mental fuzziness or over-sedation, or worsen your depression. If taken with alcohol, it could be dangerous for you as both of these are addictive and depressants.
* You could suffer from a lack of concentration, loss of intelligence and impaired memory.
* Taking Xanax to control anxiety after a traumatic incident only increases the risk of developing post-traumatic stress.
* Xanax also leads to headaches, and difficulty getting sleep.
* Women report menstrual irregularities after using Xanax over a prolonged period.
Doctors recommend the pill either in a panic attack or anxiety problem, but the doctor prescription is necessary to confirm the dose. Psychotherapy is mandatory during the cure of panic attack. Xanax can be addictive. That’s why precautions for the doctor exist. Before starting on a course of Xanax treatment, you need to tell your doctor if you suffer from any of these problems: kidney or liver disease, glaucoma, breathing problems, depression, addiction to alcohol or drugs, or if you have suicidal thoughts.
Xanax is the preferred medication by anyone who needs relief from anxiety or a panic disorder. It is best if a medical practitioner is consulted and his prescription is followed specially about dosage. Xanax is a safe way to treat your medical conditions with proven results.